This is a lovely summer alternative to porridge. If your child isn’t a fan of the apple skin, you can peel the apple.
There is a limitless range of delicious toppings you can pop on your bircher muesli. Try chopped toasted almonds, chopped dried figs, or sesame seeds.
- 100 g (1 cup) rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons sultanas (golden raisins) or chopped dried apricots
- 185 ml (3/4 cup) milk (use almond milk or soy milk for dairy-free)
- 1 apple, grated with skin on
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 90 g (1/3 cup) plain yoghurt (use coconut yoghurt for dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons LSA or ground almonds
- fruit of your choice, to serve
- Combine the oats, sultanas and milk in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap (cling film) and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight) to allow the milk to soak in.
- Stir in the apple and cinnamon, divide the muesli among serving bowls and top with the yoghurt, LSA and fruit.
- Baby’s serve: blend to an appropriate consistency.
- Toddler’s serve: chop up the fruit and stir it through the muesli with the yoghurt.
- Dairy-free alternative: use the dairy-free ingredient options, or you can replace the milk and yoghurt with 250 ml (1 cup) of rice milk, soy milk, apple juice or half apple juice and half water. You might also like to add a teaspoon of sesame seeds for an extra calcium boost.