A quick and simple mid-week dinner, this is something I know I can make without a fuss that everyone in my family will happily eat.
Black rice is a rich source of anthocyanins (the same plant compounds that give blueberries their colour) – a type of antioxidant that are of increasing research interest for their potential role in improving cardiovascular and neurological health.
400g mixed mushrooms (shitake, Swiss Brown, Shimeji)
600g chicken thigh fillets, cut in half
2 tsp olive oil
3 spring onions, cut into 6cm lengths
2 cups (250g) cooked black rice
1 bunch broccolini, trimmed, steamed
Toasted sesame seeds, to serve
Miso maple sauce
1 tbs sesame oil
3 tsp maple syrup
1 tbs soy sauce or tamari (use gluten-free if needed)
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 tsp white miso paste
1. Combine sesame oil, maple, soy, garlic and miso in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
2. Place mushrooms in a large bowl, add half the miso mixture. Toss to combine. In a separate bowl, add chicken and remaining miso mixture. Toss to coat.
3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the olive oil and the chicken, cook 2-3 minutes each side or until golden, sticky and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Keep warm.
4. Add remaining olive oil and mushrooms. Cook, tossing 3-4 minutes or until golden and tender. Add spring onions and cook 1-2 minutes until tender.
5. Divide rice between serving bowls. Top with chicken and mushrooms, spring onions and broccolini. Scatter with sesame seeds to serve.