This recipe is a real keeper. It’s just one of those great, foolproof, make-time-and-time-again recipes that friends ask you to whip up whenever you’re asked to bring a plate.
It’s an adaptation of a recipe from my friend Sali – thank you Sali I love it as much as you do!
150 g (1 cup) activated or roasted almonds
150 g (1 cup) activated or roasted cashews
160 g (approx. 8) fresh (Medjool) dates, pitted
40 g (1/4 cup) cranberries
40 g (2 tbs) virgin coconut oil, softened
65 g (2 ½ tbsp) almond butter or peanut butter
60 g (2 tbsp) honey
1 tsp ground wattleseed (optional – omit if preferred)
½ tsp natural vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp sea salt
125g dark chocolate (70% cocoa or higher), melted (dairy-free if needed)
- Grease and line a 20 cm square tin.
- Place almonds, cashews and dates into a food processor or high-powered blender and process until roughly chopped (Thermomix: 2-3 sec/speed 6). (If you prefer, you can chop everything by hand).
- Place chopped nut mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except chocolate, and stir until well combined (Thermomix: add the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate, to the nut mixture in the mixing bowl and stir 40 sec/Reverse/speed 3 until combined).
- Press the mixture firmly into the prepared slice tin and place in refrigerator for 2 hours or until firm.
- Gently melt chocolate (either in a saucepan over stovetop or in a microwaveproof bowl in the microwave), stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth. (Thermomix: place chocolate into clean mixing bowl and grate 10 sec/speed 8. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and heat 2 min/60°C/speed 1, until melted and smooth.)
- Spread melted chocolate evenly over slice. Place into refrigerator for 10–15 minutes, until just set. Remove from tin and cut into bars or squares to serve. Slice and serve (keep stored in refrigerator).