These lovely cupcakes are very moist and tasty, and much more nutritious than regular cupcakes. I recently cooked them for my mother, an ex-Cordon Bleu pastry chef, and she thought they were perfect. If you’re an icing lover, you might like to make double quantities of the icing. This recipe makes a more modest amount bearing in mind it’s for little tummies.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 95g (½ cup) rapadura sugar, coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 125ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 155g (1 cup) grated carrot
- 55g (½ cup) ground almonds
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Lemon cream cheese icing
- 150g block cream cheese, softened
- 40g (1/3 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 10 x 80 ml (1/3-cup) muffin holes with paper or silicone cases.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar and oil. Stir in the carrot and almonds. Sift in the flour and cinnamon, and stir until just combined.
- Divide the mixture among the cupcake cases and bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing: using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice together until well combined and smooth. Add a little more lemon juice if you like a stronger lemon flavour. Spread the icing over the top of the cooled cupcakes.
- Thermomix version: Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole muﬃn tin with paper or silicone muﬃn cases and set aside. Place almonds into mixing bowl and mill 20 sec/speed 9. Set aside. Place carrots into mixing bowl and chop 10 sec/speed 7. Set aside with almonds. Place eggs, milk, sugar and oil into mixing bowl and mix 10 sec/speed 5. Add ﬂour, cinnamon and reserved almonds and carrots, and mix 5 – 10 sec/speed 4. Divide mixture among muﬃn holes and bake 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave in the tin 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. To make icing, place cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice into mixing bowl and blend 10 sec/speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl and blend a further 10 sec/speed 4 or until mixture is smooth. Spread icing over cooled cupcakes to serve.