Share This Recipe
Feel free to switch around the filling in these spring rolls – replacing the prawns with extra chicken, or leaving out the mint leaves – according to your child’s preferences.
- 50 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
- 150 g cooked chicken, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 24 medium rice paper wrappers (approx. 16cm diameter)
- 12 medium cooked prawns, shelled, halved lengthways
- 1 cucumber, cut into short matchsticks
- 24 fresh mint leaves (or Vietnamese mint leaves)
- Fresh lime wedges, to serve (optional)
- Cook the vermicelli noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the lemon juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar (if using) until the sugar has dissolved.
- Roughly chop the vermicelli noodles and add to the lemon mixture along with the chicken, and carrot. Mix until combined.
- Place 1 rice paper wrapper into a bowl of hot water for 30 seconds, or until just soft. Lay the wrapper on a clean tea towel and place a heaped tablespoonful of filling mixture towards the bottom of the wrapper. Add one half prawn and 2-3 cucumber matchsticks. Roll up halfway and fold in the sides. Place a mint leaf along the fold and roll tightly to secure the filling. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges.