The secret to a good risotto is using a flavoursome, homemade stock. Risotto is a great family meal because you can serve it for dinner with a big green salad, and then roll any cold leftovers into balls for your child to have the next day.
You might also like to stir through some chopped pine nuts or baby spinach, or even a little mascarpone or cream.
- 400g diced pumpkin (1-2 cm dice)
- 750ml (3 cups) vegetable or chicken stock [use 900g for Thermomix version]
- 20g butter
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced [cut in half for Thermomix version]
- 300g (1½ cups) arborio rice [use 300g for Thermomix version]
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 80g (½ cup) frozen peas
- juice of 1 lemon
- 40g (1/3 cup) grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1-2 tablespoons finely snipped chives
- Combine the stock with 375 ml (1½ cups) water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered. (The stock should be kept simmering the whole time the risotto is cooking).
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the spring onion and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until soft but not brown. Add the rice and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for a further minute. Add 250 ml (1 cup) of the hot stock and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding the hot stock, 250 ml (1 cup) at a time, stirring continuously. Wait until the stock has been absorbed before adding more (the total cooking time will be about 25 minutes). Add the pumpkin 10-15 minutes into the cooking time. Continue to stir until the stock is absorbed and the rice and pumpkin are tender. You can add a little more stock or hot water if required.
- Stir through the peas and leave for a few minutes to cook through. Stir through lemon juice, parmesan and chives. Serve with extra parmesan.
- Place Parmesan into mixing bowl and grate 10 sec/speed 9. Set aside. (Grate extra to serve, if using).
- Place garlic and onion or spring onion into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 7. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add butter and sauté 2 min/100°C/speed 1.
- Add rice and sauté 1 min/100°C/Reverse/speed 1.
- Add stock and cook 8 min/100°C/Reverse/speed 1. Add pumpkin and cook a further 8 min/100°C/Reverse/speed 1.
- Add peas, lemon juice and reserved Parmesan and cook 1 min/100°C/Reverse/speed 1.
- Transfer to a ThermoServer and serve topped with additional Parmesan (if using) and chives.