This is a recipe I developed for my regular monthly Naughty v Nice column in Taste magazine. It’s where I do a lighter, healthier version of a traditionally decadent recipe. You can find the recipe on their website over here along with 50,000 other delicious recipes!
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan). Grease a round 20cm cake pan. Line with baking paper.
- Place dates in a large heatproof bowl. Pour over the boiling water. Stir in the bicarb. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften, then use a fork to lightly mash.
- Combine flour, sugar, almond meal, baking powder and spices in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add apple, oil, eggs and date mixture. Stir until combined. Spoon into the prepared pan.
- Line the base of a roasting pan with a tea towel. Place cake in the prepared roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to reach two-thirds up the side of the cake pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from roasting pan.
- Meanwhile, for the caramel, cook sugar and 125ml (1/2 cup) water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened and reduced by half. Stir in cream and vanilla. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes, until smooth.
- Spoon half the sauce over the pudding. Serve with yoghurt and remaining sauce.