Bring a healthy twist to an old favourite, macaroni cheese, by using some delicious pumpkin puree. The best of comfort food – plus you’ll also be adding extra vegetable variety and goodness to your day. Double tick!
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree (see tip)
- 400g macaroni
- 20g butter
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour or plain flour
- 375ml milk
- 40g grated cheddar cheese
- 25g grated parmesan cheese
- 50g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs (preferably sourdough)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan).
- Add the macaroni to a saucepan of hot water and boil for 8-10 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Transfer to a 6-cup capacity ovenproof baking dish. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring over low-medium heat until the sauce thickens. Stir in the cheeses and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
- Pour the pumpkin cheese sauce over the pasta, stir to combine. Toss the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the olive oil and scatter over the macaroni.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden on top.
Steam 600 grams diced pumpkin. Place pumpkin pieces on paper towel to drain. Transfer to a blender/Thermomix and puree until smooth. This should yield about 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree.