Baby’s First Christmas
Share This Recipe
Serves 4-6 + baby
Christmas lunch or dinner is such a special meal, it’s lovely to let your baby experience the beautiful flavours – in a pureed form that she can easily eat. You might like to serve this roast beef with a side of steamed greens, which you could also add to baby’s puree too.
If your baby is old enough to manage finger foods (which may not happen until 8 or 9 months), you might prefer to cut this meal into finger food pieces and let her feed herself.
- 1 x 1kg eye fillet beef
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bunches baby carrots, stalks trimmed and scrubbed
- 3 small parsnip, cut into quarters lengthways
- 100g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Use kitchen string to tie the beef at 2cm intervals to secure (or you can ask your butcher to do this for you). Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a roasting pan over medium-high heat. Cook the beef, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Place beef in oven and cook for 40-45 minutes until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, place the carrots and parsnip into a large roasting pan and toss through remaining oil. Place in oven (with beef) and cook for 30 minutes. Add the hazelnuts to the roasting pan, return to oven, and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Serve the roast beef, sliced, with the roasted carrots and parnsip.
- To make baby’s puree, roughly chop some of the cooked beef, vegetables and hazelnuts and place into a food processor with parsley leaves and some liquid (water or your baby’s milk – use as much as necessary to achieve desired consistency). Process until smooth. Set aside one serving and freeze the remainder in individual portions for later use.