This is one of those dishes that can be had for breakfast or lunch, or even as a light dinner. If asparagus isn’t in season, switch it for green beans or whichever seasonal veg you have on hand.
If you’re a Thermomix owner, you can cook all of the elements in your mixing bowl and Varoma – see alternative method below. So easy!
1 bunch baby asparagus, trimmed
100g frozen peas
80g frozen edamame beans, defrosted and shelled (see Tips)
80g white quinoa, rinsed and drained
20g fresh baby spinach leaves
1 zucchini, cut into thin strips
2 spring onions/shallots, shredded
4 eggs, poached (see Tips)
80g quality soft feta
30g shelled pistachio nuts, chopped
2 tbsp dukkah
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Micro herbs, to serve (optional)
1 lemon or lime, cut into cheeks to serve (optional)
- Place the quinoa in a small saucepan with 250ml water. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat for 12-15 minutes or until cooked and liquid has absorbed. Remove from heat, set aside covered until needed.
- Place peas and edamame beans in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water, leave for 2-3 minutes. Drain.
- Steam or boil asparagus in a large fry pan or saucepan until tender. Refresh with cold water and set aside. Use same pan to poach eggs until cooked to your liking.
- Divide reserved quinoa among serving bowls with peas and beans, asparagus, raw zucchini and spring onion. Top each with a poached egg and some feta. Scatter over pistachios and Dukkah. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with herbs and serve with citrus wedges.
If you’re buying edamame beans in pods, you will need approx 150 g beans. Once steamed, you can remove them from their pods.
1. Place Varoma dish into position and place asparagus into it. Insert Varoma tray and weigh peas and edamame beans onto it. Set Varoma aside.
2. Place 850g water into mixing bowl. Insert simmering basket and weigh quinoa into it, then cook 15 min/100°C/speed 4.
3. Place Varoma with vegetables into position, secure Varoma lid and steam 5 min/Varoma/speed 4 or until quinoa and vegetables are cooked to your liking. Remove Varoma and set aside. Remove simmering basket with aid of spatula.
4. Divide quinoa between serving bowls and top with cooked vegetables, spinach, zucchini and spring onions/shallots. Top with a poached egg and feta, then sprinkle with pistachios and dukkah. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with micro herbs (optional) and serve with lemon or lime cheeks (optional).